[Announce] SOS object to additional cycle parking on city green spaces

John Lawton chair at soscambridge.org.uk
Wed Aug 21 22:48:09 BST 2013

Yet again council plans include construction on Parker's Piece!

I wonder whether you have seen a City Council consultation regarding
increased cycle parking around the city. From our point of view this
is mostly not contentious, but we do object to plans to add cycle
racks on an area of fenced off grass on the corner of Parker's Piece
near the University Arms hotel:  http://goo.gl/maps/VFtyP

The plans are on page 15 of this document:
https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/sites/www.cambridge.gov.uk/files/documents/city-centre-cycle-parking-consultation-maps.pdf

This location is billed as Regent Terrace but is actually a fenced
off area of the piece. We suggest that this is very undesirable as it
will use up more precious green space.

Better locations nearby would surely be on existing tarmac in Park
Terrace  http://goo.gl/maps/LCKp9 or in Regent Terrace itself or even
outside the Police Station on Parkside?

There is an online survey if you feel like responding to the
consultation, the area we have concerns over is "Regent Terrace,
location one" in this consultation survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/citycentrecycleparkingsurvey

The survey closes Friday 23rd.

Best wishes,

John Lawton