Parker’s Piece lighting project - deadline for final responses 8th Nov

John Lawton chair at soscambridge.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 13:25:00 GMT 2013

Dear SOS Announce subscriber,

here is a reminder that the City Council's consultation on plans for
lighting on Parker's Piece ends this Friday 8th November.
https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/parkers-piece-lighting-project

They offer an email address for your response:
mailto:pplighting at cambridge.gov.uk

Curiously un-confident of victory, I see that student representatives
have (again) lobbied their members to deliver a 'YES' en-masse for this scheme:

https://www.angliastudent.com/news/article/Representationpage/Anglia-Ruskin-Parkers-Piece-Lighting-Statement/#.Uneb_EOYq5O

A weakness in the council's proposal is that they list crime in the
surrounding area, much which may not be attributable to the green
space at all, indeed more likely due to the drinking establishments
in Regent Street, and then uses that as a justification for increased
lighting on the piece.

I am concerned that overall lighting levels should not set too high
such that the common is over-lit once the extra lights are installed.

Because of the history of strong lobbying from the youth & student
lobby it does seem unstoppable at this stage, but if you have
misgivings please let the Council know as soon as possible!

Regards,

John Lawton
SOS Chair

Save Our green Spaces: http://www.soscambridge.org.uk