[Discuss] Advice with open space handover/funding

SOS Cambridge discussion list discuss at soscambridge.org.uk
Sun Apr 18 13:02:11 BST 2010

On 18/04/2010 12:44, SOS Cambridge discussion list wrote:
> At 12:38 18/04/2010, Ian Manning, wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> At some point in the future (don't ask when - it has been held up
>> since the last ice age as far as I can tell), two public open spaces
>> on our development will be handed over to Active Communities.  We
>> already have a consultation with them going (which stalled of
>> course!) but I'm interested if anyone can give any advice on any
>> funding opportunities available to bolster the (apparently) merge
>> reserves for the design/maintenance of the spaces?
>>
>> One is designated to be part play area, the other is a plain open space.
>>
>> Any advice / pointers greatly appreciated - also if anyone has
>> experience of a similar process it would be good to hear from you.
>
> As yours is a relatively new development, I would assume some Section
> 106 money would have been available. I wonder what it was allocated
> to?  It might be worth asking in this area.  The Council Green Spaces
> team are on this list, so you may get a reply from them shortly. Have
> you asked your local councillors to try and find out?
>
> John Lawton
> Chair

Thanks for the reply John.

Yes, there is S106 money allocated, but I've been told it isn't axactly
bountiful, hence wanting to look to see if any other sources are
available (eg public art grants).  Both Clare Blair and Susannah Kerr
have been very helpful, but they, like me, have been told by active
cmmunities that there is no estimate for when the handover will happen
[I've no reason to think this isn't accurate, but one would expect the
council to have *some* idea].