[Discuss] Greens in central Cambridge Litter and Barbecues

Anne Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 20 10:00:58 BST 2010

Dear Alan

I agree in America and Australia there are designated barbeque areas and
very nice they are. But they are dealing with far far greater spaces.

The problem with allowing barbeques AT ALL is damage to turf, and more
litter and we are in danger of destroying the very facility people go to
find when they don¹t have private gardens.

We do of course need more Open Spaces  - but surely preserving the ones we
have is all important.

Loads of users of the Greens gather for sports, picnics and the like without
fires, the trick with our Greens is surely that they LOOk like the
countryside but aren¹t really. I don¹t think it¹s at all fair that people
with fires should be allowed to dominate with smoke pollution, cooking
smells and all associated paraphanalia , democracy of use argues for a ban.
Which is in fact a bye law.

Best wishes

Anne Garvey