[Discuss] Greens in central Cambridge Litter and Barbecues

John Lawton chair at soscambridge.org.uk
Sun Apr 18 12:37:59 BST 2010

At 12:11 18/04/2010, peter constable wrote:
>Already the Greens are being badly damaged by barbecues, smoke
>pollution and the litter. Last weekend it was all  was of epic
>proportions.
>As usual there is with an inadequate supply of dustbins and the style
>of those supplied come from the very cheapest end of local hardware
>shop stock.
>
>The old question of notices and litter penalties arises yet again.
>Isn't it time for notices and enforcement right across the City greens?
>Litter picking, even on St George's day, only reinforces the habit of
>litterbugs.
>
>Can we do something NOW.

Thanks Peter,

The design of notices is apparently in hand.  Debbie Kaye posted this
on Friday:

"All

Sarah Tovell started work on signage for parks this week and will be
liaising with both legal services and the Executive Councillor to
agree style/appearance and content before the signs are commissioned
and installed - hopefully for around the first May Bank Holiday.

The signs will state clearly that  that unauthorised camping, fires
and BBQs are not permitted.

The signs are proposed at the main entrances to the following parks
and open spaces:
Sheeps Green, Lammas Land, Mill Pond and Coe Fen
Jesus Green
Stourbridge Common
Midsummer Common
Parkers Piece
Cherry Hinton Hall
Coldhams Common

In the meantime, if problems with camping or fires occur, the
following arrangements are in place:
In office hours, phone 01223 457000 and report the problem to the
Enforcement Team
Out of office hours, telephone 01223 457457. The out of hours service
will refer to either the Enforcement team and/or the Police.The
Enforcement Out of Hours service starts 1st May, so in the meantime,
the Police will be notified.

We have reported the problems last night to both the Enforcement
Officer and the Out of hours service, and so both are aware."

I have suggested to here that sanctions (fines etc) should be
included on the notices.

John Lawton
Chair

Save Our green Spaces