[Discuss] Greens in central Cambridge Litter and Barbecues

John Lawton chair at soscambridge.org.uk
Mon Apr 19 14:07:18 BST 2010

At 13:36 19/04/2010, you wrote:
>Does SOS have a policy on barbeques ? Are the objections to
>barbeques objections to burnt turf, or also to large gatherings,
>especially at night in summer ?

I would say that we would oppose on the grounds that there is damage,
but also usually a huge amount of litter.  Those who enjoy the fires
seem to feel free to make a huge mess and show no responsibility to
clear up afterwards.

>In America many open spaces come with barbeque provision. Do we need
>the same here ?

Perhaps in the right setting, but I think not on grazing land, and
not if they harm the nature of the green space.

>  Maybe we need to think about parks differently as more and more
> people are encouraged to live in high density developments with
> little private open space, so no room for barbeques at home. If the
> numbers  using parks increase then noise at all times of day from
> parks becomes a bigger issue, so maybe existing parks need
> redesigning to keep crowds away from houses ?  Maybe we need more
> open spaces ?

Agreed about more green space provision,  but surely everyone has
room for a BBQ, if not a bonfire?

John