[Discuss] Barbecues - a burning issue

Anne Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 13 11:14:39 BST 2010

It is appalling to inflict barbecues on the users of Jesus Green. Barbecues
are a tiny but destructive minority . All other users, sportspeople,
children, picnickers in this small space should really not have to breathe
in barbecue smoke. It is not a wild area but a mown cultivated space and
very heavily populated. Barbecue smoke is harmful intrusive and I surely am
not the only person finding it disgusting to smell cooking of innumerable
cheap battery chicken and burgers. Clouds of smoke drifting over other
people using the green is just not on. Why do the authorities insist on
perceiving Jesus Greenas some amazing wilderness? It is a very cultivated
and urban and sports area ­ there should be much more encouragement I think
of sports actitivites for young people, a far better way of using the area
than contaminating other people¹s air and simply sitting about eating.

The writer is quite right. The lack of guidance with the new signs ( where
the temporary ones were completely clear no barbecues ) creates a grey area
where there has to be a discussion after every intervention, with people
possibly believing that Œfires¹ doesn¹t mean barbecues, or saying they think
that.

Fires are prohibited by the byelaws. The byelaws are passed by Parliament.
If the Council wants to change that to allow barbecues they have to go back
to parliament and change it . Meanwhile they are in defiance of their own
rules in not enforcing it. It is actually not Œ up for discussion² it¹s a
reality . That is if you consider a barbecue a fire, which the Council
members clearly don¹t.  I think Cambridge would look ridiculous arguing this
to change their own byelaw just to accommodate a tiny group of people who up
to now have done appalling damage.