[Discuss] Barbecues - a burning issue

John Lawton chair at soscambridge.org.uk
Tue Jul 13 17:54:05 BST 2010

Thanks Carolin,

A debate on bbq provision is fine, however I would say that we have
to be very careful with our green spaces.

SOS are opposed to the further urbanisation of green spaces simply
because it may seem expedient to do so for one reason or another at
any particular time.

BBQ's on Midsummer Common, or other areas where animals are grazed
would be unsuitable anyway because of the additional litter and
hazardous bbq waste.

Thinking about Jesus Green, organised bbq areas may not suit many bbq
fans who seem to like to sit wherever they choose and fire up.  This
means they may just not work anyway.

I take a dim view of placing additional pressure on the city green
spaces when developers are not providing sufficient (green) space in
their developments. When they pay over S106 money to the council in
lieu of their green space provision, (which in itself is very
questionable), I suggest that this should pay for additional green
space in the area, not for building picnic and bbq sites on our
precious semi-natural common land.

Food for thought :)

John