[Discuss] Barbecues - a burning issue

Anne Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 14 12:20:45 BST 2010

Dear John

Well I think it is highly suspicious that the Council sent Sarah Tovall to a
meeting with me Martin Thompson and Peter Constable ( she explained she was
the ground level in seniority) with the message that the signs after all
that discussion would not include the injunction against barbecues.

I knew this would cause confusion in people using the Green since the word
has got out that barbecues are allowed and there are burn marks everywhere
to show that they are tolerated by the authorities.

Now sure enough these stupid signs are coming, why do we need a
proscriptions against camping first, no one camps on Jesus Green, litter is
already banned and 'fires' are unknown. The real problem is barbecues and
the Council has now complicated and confused the issue.

I think they are in serious dereliction of their duty to uphold the byelaws
talking about the ' social function' of barbecues . They cannot decide to
allow them on the grounds that they're not fires, without being in
contravention of the byelaws themselves.

Is there a lawyer in the house?

I am off on holiday to the end of the month. Very best of luck with this
important issue.

Best wishes

Anne