[Discuss] Area between the Mill and Granta pubs and Fen Causeway

John Lawton chair at soscambridge.org.uk
Thu Oct 7 15:49:05 BST 2010

Heather,
I can answer that one.
The City Council is closing paths "so that six trees that threaten
the safety of cyclists and pedestrians on these busy paths can be
removed.  A routine tree survey found these trees to be significantly
infected with Honey Fungus, with high risk of falling and causing injury."

There is more here:

<http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/news-releases/2010/october/footpath-closures-and-tree-work-on-sheeps-green.en>http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/news-releases/2010/october/footpath-closures-and-tree-work-on-sheeps-green.en

John Lawton
SOS Chair

At 15:37 07/10/2010, you wrote:
>Apologies - I'm not sure if this is officially called Sheep's Green
>so thought the above more accurate.  A friend tried to cycle home
>from town to Barton that way last night and found all the paths
>closed, and the notices she saw said it was something to do with
>honey fungus and danger to the public from falling trees.
>
>Apart from it being totally outrageous to close what are vital
>commuter routes (about to email the Cycling Campaign about this too
>as the alternative roads are very unpleasant), does anyone know what
>is going on?
>
>I would say this bit of Cambridge is my favourite as the combination
>of cows, water and trees is so magical.  I would hate to see any
>unnecessary messing around with it.  Also, I would imagine the Mill
>Pub being rather annoyed with the weather forecast actually being
>very good for the coming weekend.  If I had the time, I'd love to
>sit out there with a drink.
>Heather

Save Our green Spaces
http://www.soscambridge.org.uk