[Discuss] No trees and ugly buildings. Histon Road/Victoria Road Junction. Planning application

Anne Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 21 12:16:45 BST 2010

Agreed. In London though they have trees arising right out of pavements and
they surround them with this miracle stuff which is officially called '
golden granite' I asked the County Council why this wasn't being used when
they replaced the block paving around trees in Chesterton Road outside the
very tourist-rich Arundel Hotel, and he said it was 'far too expensive', and
they had to use the utterly hideous black bitumen cover. I see he as an
engineer has a budget but again, the aesthetics are being completely ignored
for the sake of a very modest saving.

Trees with the golden granit approach do not have to take up so much land.
Anyway, as you say, we all want them and everything cannot be at the whim of
the developer. That said we got precisely nowhere with opposition to soften
the development of flats at the bottom of Hertford Street and that is in a
Conservation Area.

AG