[Discuss] Urgent - tree questionnaire

Anne Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 9 11:32:47 BST 2010

Hello there

I think the questionnaire is marginally mad. It says the Œplanting¹ scheme (
which is actually a lot of felling) main aim is to Œrestore historic
boundaries.¹
Er, what are the historic boundaries for a start, and why frankly do they
need Œrestoring¹. I don¹t get it.

Note that there are alarming options to axe entire avenues of trees. I
discussed this with the Council in their Consultation Tent. They said it was
, and this is absolutely accurate Œ like Capability Brown ­ or those
Victorians who cut down a lot of trees for their scheme²

Personally I would like them to forget about historic boundaries, stop these
proposals to chop down healthy trees ­ axeing the copper beeches would this
woman on JG Council tent told me Œ create a uniform green coherent  line².
It is such rubbish.  They¹re very keen on uniformity, smaller and different
trees have to do and as for Leylandi, even the ones that afford real
protection for the Pool are to be axed altogether.

I dislike their use of language. I have never heard trees described as
Œcoherent¹ before and the word Œrationalise¹ spelled in that American way,
has me baffled.

Can they not return to their role as park keepers forget all about
Capability Brown and just plant new trees when the old ones die.

They¹ve had £500 for three years from the Electricity Board to replace a
Plane Tree but strangely haven¹t got around to doing that.