[Discuss] Oaken Wood

Simon Norton S.Norton at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 23:52:12 BST 2011

I did go to Oaken Wood this Sunday. I may say that the line through East Malling
was closed so I ended up on buses.

There are no "keep out" signs in the wood -- either the area to be quarried or
the rest -- so I think that even if it's officially private nobody's going to
worry if people do a bit of exploring.

Gallagher, who own the bit of the wood which is up for quarrying, have put up
various display notices around the area and opened up a perimeter walk. However
this is quite wide, indeed wide enough for vehicles to drive along in some
places, and no replacement for the intimate routes that go through the wood at
present, including the public bridleway which is to be closed "temporarily" --
presumably for up to 25 years, the lifetime of the quarry.

At the point where I said "continue straight on where the road bends left" there
is a rusty Routemaster bus in someone's front yard. There's also a planning
notice which includes an application to maintain equine facilities in a farm. I
mention this because Gallagher's plans make explicit provision for gallops in
that area, between the existing byway (which is to be maintained) and the
perimeter walk.

The byway offers no view of the existing quarry, but the public footpath that
used to go through that area has disappeared. I was rather disappointed at that
as I find that quarries often offer dramatic views -- and indeed on my way back
from the area when I used another rail replacement bus route I was able to enjoy
something I haven't done for some time -- the view over the chalkpits from the
top of a double decker on the A226 around Swanscombe. (Arriva run frequent buses
in that area but I think they are all single deckers.) That line will be closed
again on 3 July so that might offer another chance to experience this view.

East Malling church offers teas on Sunday afternoons, and the church was also
open when I passed by before starting the walk (around 12.30).

I can certainly recommend the wood as a worthwhile place to visit.

 Simon Norton