[Discuss] Jesus Green Association press release

GARVEY ANNE annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Thu May 5 15:41:22 BST 2011

The Green Spaces are appallingly mismanaged and criminally neglected. Jesus
Green in particular suffers from a dire laissez faire policy with no
supervision of under age drinkers, drug taking, and the burning of the turf
and despoilation of the area by literally tonnes of litter.

There is no enforcement of any of of the laws pertaining to behaviour on the
Greens, and I think the Council stand accused of utterly failing in their
duty to act as custodians of these places. What is happening is nothing less
than authorized vandalism.

There are fines for littering available to the Council. the Police
absolutely refuse to act when asked to attend young people burning the grass
and scawling graffitti. It is a Liberty Hall for which the people of
Cambridge pay dearly.

The Council should NOT pull down the building on Jesus Green but use it for
a Custodian with proper powers  to fine those who wreck our spaces, Council
tax payers will eventually be sick of picking up and paying for young people
be they students or our own citizens' children or visitors. It does not
happen elsewhere why here? The Police MUST be involved, we cannot allow
these young people to despoil our city with impunity or appeal to them in
the silly over polite way the Council now employ.

The Jesus Green hut, built at some cost to the rate payer in 1970s would be
an idea centre for some vigilance. Using the Big SOciety Idea we could have
volunteers policing the Green but they must have back up. A crackdown on the
kind of anti social activity prevalent is way overdue, this situation will
not improve on its own.

The way the Greens are handled is a daily digrace to the Council, to the
Enforcement officers who do not enforce and to the Police.

I also think that the JGA has been far too liberal all along. The
ludicrously TINY notices which eventuated from HOURS of discussion last year
cannot even be seen, they are six inches high. The problem of barbecues has
not been resolved where everywhere else in the country they have been banned
in urban spaces, Hampstead Heath, Runnymede, every civic park in the land.
This isn't a huge space, it is being wrecked by a minority of young people
and they are not just students..