[Discuss] a very sad day for a very lovely old tree

Ellie Stoneley elliestoneley at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:48:27 GMT 2011

Hi all

I thought that following a previous email you might be interested /
saddened to know that today the beautiful thuja tree that had been saved by
a unanimous vote by the planning committee, started to be felled following
a fast track appeal to Mr Pickles ... it seems that even in the case of a
flimsy garage built long after the tree was planted (about 80 years), with
no planning permission and no firm foundation, that 'bricks trump trees'
... heartbreaking to have lost the battle ... even Acacia who are cutting
it down feel that it shouldn't be felled ... but insurance, money etc all
came into play and in the end the neighbours won and their love of space
and concrete will see the tree totally removed tomorrow.

It was visible from much of the hospital site, from the Gogs, and Hills
Road ... and today the space on Red Cross Lane where it was leaves a big
view of the hospital and too much sky where greenery is needed.

I won't try circulating photos again as I think they never did get round
our group, but I will circulate the link to my blog (interrupted the
pregnancy part of the blog to turn it into a tree blog) .. the top 4 posts
all pertain to the tree
http://www.crazypregnantperson.com

Also just as an aside I heard today that Diana Oviatt Ham is no longer with
the council

I hope all is well elsewhere in the treeless place that Cambridge is
becoming

All the best
Ellie

--
ellie stoneley
+44 (0) 7989 978763

-
This message is confidential and is intended only for the individual named.
If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute
or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you
have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.

solely for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed. Finally,
the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence
of viruses. The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
virus transmitted by this email.