[Discuss] Backs

Simon Norton S.Norton at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 21:17:02 BST 2011

I'm not quite sure what Anne means by making the backs traffic free. If that
means removing traffic from Queens Road, the colleges have no jurisdiction there
and it's unlikely that the County Council would accept it as this would
substantially reduce Cambridge's traffic capacity (though we might disagree with
them about whether this was a good thing).

If on the other hand Anne is referring to traffic within the college gates, I
certainly agree that the regular parking on the back access to Trinity College,
a route I use not infrequently, is an irritation. But this isn't the sort of
route on which one ever sees any type of bus (I assume that Anne is referring
primarily to private tour buses).

Incidentally, I remember some years ago walking on the path up from the Mill and
noticing a stream of cars on the opposite side accessing the Garden House Hotel
car park. I think it was a disgrace that this ever got planning permission.

My dearest wish regarding the Backs is that we should be able to walk along the
river between Magdalene Bridge and the Mill. This would provide a useful traffic
free walk for many journeys within Cambridge; and it would surely not cause
significantly more disturbance to the colleges than is now caused by punting.
There may be problems with St Johns but I'm sure that with a will these could be
solved.

 Simon Norton