[Discuss] Parker's Piece

ronald hall hallrandk at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 12:02:15 BST 2014

Please remove me from your mailing list
Thank you

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014, 11:24, Carolin Gohler <ceo at cambridgeppf.org> wrote:

Dear all,

I suggest you set up a joint meeting between the Cambridgeshire
      County Council (managed highways including rights of ways over the
      city's green spaces and lighting schemes on highways) as well as
      with the parks and recreation management team of the Cambridge
      City Council.

Yes lighting on our highways is very poor and the lighting
      contract has just been signed approx 2 years ago .... thus many
      decades to go before changes can be achieved. CambridgePPF has
      been presuming to make changes but so far only Mill Road and the
      old Richardson's Candles in the historic centre have been given
      more advantageous considerations ..... very little money has been
      set aside by Cambridgeshire County Council for any heritage
      lighting. The only way is to achieve things is by asking the City
      Council to contribute (Mill Road was successful) however as you
      all know available budgets are almost NIL.
Now is the time for you to contact the County Council about the
      lighting on Christ's Pieces!
I try to see if I can get anybody to update us.

Although there are Conservation Area Appraisal covering many parts
      of the inner city they are not strong enough on lighting and other
      street furniture and mostly ignored by the County Council.

Green space management - because the annual budget for maintaining
      our parks and green corridors etc is so low the City Council has
      to continually find money from events and activities. Not to say
      that green spaces are there to be enjoyed by a wide variety of
      local people - sometimes tranquil pursuits sometimes more noisier
      appealing to our different generations - Parker's Piece and its
      central heritage light column was know as Reality Checkpoint
      during the fabulous Sixties .... nowadays we are doing other
      things. The main thing it remains a balanced approach!

Kind regards  Carolin

Carolin Göhler   -   Chief Executive
ceo at cambridgeppf.org
Tel - 01223-243830  x 203        working days - generally:  Mondays - Thursdays only
Cambridge Past, Present & Future
Wandlebury Ring, Gog Magog Hills, Babraham,
Cambridge
          CB22  3AE

Become a member and support us  -
please see our new website:  www.cambridgeppf.org

Cambridge Past, Present & Future(CambridgePPF)  –
a charity working to keep Cambridge and its surroundings special by positively influencing planning developments, delivering environmental education and managing the Green spaces and historic buildings in its care – for the benefit for all.

Cambridge Past, Present & Future (formerly Cambridge Preservation Society) Registered Charity No. 204121.  Non-profit making company limited by guarantee, registered in England No. 239835. Registered Office: Wandlebury Ring, Gog Magog Hills, Babraham, Cambridge  CB22 3AE.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential (so far as is allowed by law) and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the CambridgePPF. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender.

On 02/07/2014 10:28, Anne Marie Garvey wrote:

Certainly, I think that would be excellent.

>On 2 Jul 2014, at 10:07, Lisa Buchholz wrote:
>
>Do we want to pull together a collective letter asking that more care be taken on managing rights of way (and to whom - not sure who manages set up of these events, although could ask Green Spaces officers).  Lamps sound like a bit of a lost cause if council is locked into a contract - when does 30 year contract expire - I mean, was this signed 20 yrs ago, or are we just at the start of it?  If nearing its end, we could write saying it's an opportunity to do something nicer.
>>
>>Lisa Buchholz
>>

>>On 1 July 2014 14:54, Anne Marie Garvey <annemgarvey at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>Lamp posts are a centre of contention. They were all ordered as a job lot from Balfour Beattie in a massive thirty year long contract. Here in Hertford Street they show no concession to the fact that they've made it a conservation area, they're just the standard concret ones. In other cities I am always seeing really imaginative lamp posts. Sorry to hear that the ones one Christs Pieces are just disappearing.
>>>

>>>On 1 Jul 2014, at 14:21, Joanna Gordon Clark wrote:
>>>
>>>well done simon, for flagging this up.  Awful to have pubic right of way obstrcuted so very physically and while fo ryou maybe it would not have been a huge thing to climb over, for many older people and those with bad legs (like me, for eg.) it woudl be impossible, and also it is a removal of our open space.  suggest you ask them in the council what this was all about.  also now they are commandeering a fair bit of space, presumably for th tour de france thing, but in the end it is our space, not their space.

                                        across Parker's Piece instead of
                                        Regent St.

                                        that day (14 June) and caravans
                                        etc. were parked