[Discuss] reply to Joanna

Simon Norton simon at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jul 26 22:35:50 BST 2014

1. I agree with Joanna about the problems of the existing bus interchange at
Cambridge main station. I have always been lukewarm about the new station, but
believe firmly that if it's going ahead we need to make the best of it. The
proposed new bridge will be available to pedestrians as well as cyclists, giving
access to Ditton Meadows and Stourbridge Common from the north side and to the
new station and whatever buses do operate from it from the south side.

2. I don't agree with Joanna re cycling. I don't think I have ever been put in
danger by a cyclist. Agreed, people cycling at speed can put pedestrians in
danger and for them the road or dedicated cycle routes is indeed the proper
place. But the road is no place for novice cyclists to gain experience. The
London press has been full of examples where lorries have run cyclists over,
even killing them, and got away with at most a derisory fine and short driving
ban.

I am concerned at the general tenor of the posting, and others on this group,
which seems to regard encroachment on our open spaces by structures that help
cyclists and pedestrians as a serious matter while encroachment for motorists is
condoned. Some years ago I tried to get SOS interested in the Addenbrookes link
road plans, which combined with the guided busway and new development have
completely carved up the area between Trumpington and Addenbrookes that had for
nearly 40 years raised my heart when approaching Cambridge by train from the
south. Yes, the area is not a public open space, but it is intended to make it
one, and there has long been permissive access. And with the guided busway then
under construction, providing a park & ride service from Trumpington, there was
no need to give motorists direct access to the Addenbrookes area.

Outside Cambridge, when the current A14 was built through Huntingdon there was
considerable encroachment on the town's commons which I had often enjoyed. Now
there are proposals to divert the A14, but the existing route, far from being
closed, is to become a busy local distributor route with new road links further
carving up the commons.

I will be making a further posting with comments on the use of existing and
former rail routes as cycle and pedestrian routes.

 Simon Norton