[Discuss] use of rail and road corridors for cycle routes

Anne Marie Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 28 16:44:24 BST 2014

Simon

My comment is that I wholeheartedly support both the spirit and the practicality of your proposals.

The general overview , that cycling should be a priority with special consideration for routes away from cars and motor traffic.

This is the future. Cyclists need safety. Cyclists who take to the road do so when they feel safe, currently many people are put off by the danger they face. And whilst I sympathise with the perceived danger of sharing pavements, the figures for pedestrians injured by cyclists is minuscule compared to the danger from cars to pedestrians. If people and particularly parents and young people felt safer on the paths and roads then more would join them and there would be a real transformation .

I secondly support the details of your suggestions and wholeheartedly applaud these proposals to make links between cyclewasy. I am a member of Sustrans, but their very existence has been threatened by cuts, and we must move to our local authorities to represent everyone in a travel plan, not just motorists who currently command far too much time and attention, quite disproportionate to their numbers.

Walking and cycling, public transport are the future, they are the future all over Europe. The era of the private car is over and it's going to be a slow business but it will come about and a more healthy communal and fun way of getting around will become the norm

I endorse all your details for the remedy of past missed opportunities and for the future sophistication of the network of cycleways ,

Yours Anne