[Discuss] Parker's Piece

Jean Perraton jean at perraton.myzen.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 15:18:07 BST 2014

I too was similarly inconvenienced by barriers to crossing Midsuummer
Common. It was the Saturday of Strawberry Fair (June7) and I was cycling
across from Newmarket Road to Victoria Avenue  to a reception, already a bit
late, when  two officials insisted I get off my bike and walk - only to find
that my intended exit to Victoria Avenue was blocked by a metal fence. Then
I found myself walking over wet muddy grass  searching for a way out. On
grumbling about this to another couple at the reception I found that they
(two elderly and most respectable looking citizens) had been required to
have their bags searched before being allowed to continue across the common.

It seems to me that these events have got too big and too intrusive.

Jean Perraton