[Discuss] Fwd: Special Meeting on Thursday to discuss tree planting plans on Jesus Green and Midsummer Common

Anne Garvey annemgarvey at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 25 15:21:08 BST 2010

I think this native species argument is specious .  Many of the trees we
admire are not native. Horse chestnuts for instance were I introduced only
in the last century, around the same time as Leylandii.There is a very good
reason to have dense conifers around the swimming pool as swimmers appear to
agree . They are a windbreak , provide privacy and a sound barrier against
the skatepark. Reduce them yes but if you get rid of them, the whole pool
will be exposed for ages. These trees can be readily trimmed and reduced by
a half if need be, why kill them?

The conifers at the corner of  Park Parade are to be axed. Why? They provide
shade for players ( I play there and they¹re very welcome) a screen against
those over-high flats behind and smell nice. They are green and peaceful and
alive and flourishing despite one of them losing a branch. The judgement of
Ms. Oviatt Hamm that they are Œ ill formed¹ is just the kind of aesthetic no
one wants. She has decided on limes for that corner . That¹s a mistake
because
1. they won¹t be big enough for decades to cover the brick backdrop
2. they drop secretions on the tennis courts

She assured us at the meeting that regular clean ups would be instituted.
Are you confident that this will happen? And why remove healthy trees even
if they¹re not a fashionable ? People in the past put them there and thought
they evenutally would look nice. They do. We are being brainwashed into
thinking of them as unwelcome intruders and a Œmistake¹¹ . If they provide a
green screen, provide a function are not interfering with anyone and
flourishing why is no one standing up for them? I think it will be a
wasteful shame to chop them down, and indeed those around the swimming pool
which could be managed much more cheaply ­ however strangely money doesn¹t
seem to come into this as they have £50K to Œspend¹and no one wanted their
grandiose chop and plant schemes so they¹ve left taking it out on the poor
old conifers. I say no.